11/2/11

midweSTYLE: Bridge II

Jeff's post a few weeks ago got me thinking about my own fall uniform. The ensemble that automatically pops into my mind when I get out of bed in the morning. This is what I came up with. It's not necessarily limited to these exact pieces, but they do represent the basic formula. It goes something like this: plaid shirt, shawl-collar cardigan, and a lightweight jacket on top of denim and boots. The variations are endless. Nonetheless, this is perhaps my favorite.

6

If I could, I would be completely content with only wearing Gitman shirting, for the rest of my life. The fit and details are spot on (their mediums are ideal), and every season seems to improve upon the last. There's a consistently wide array of fabrics and patterns - chambrays, oxfords, tartans. There's something strangely familiar about a Gitman Vintage shirt, like you're ninety-five percent sure you saw your dad wearing the same thing back in '74, but you can't be sure.

5

This service blazer by Apolis has been my go-to top layer for fall. I was turned on to Apolis a few summers back when they teamed up with Katin to produce some chambray board shorts. From there, my interest in the brand and their philosophy has only increased. If you've got the time, take a moment to read up on their story and check out their new fall arrivals, which happens to include some beautiful Italian-crafted suiting. Truly a brand worth supporting and investing in.

2

These boots were a gift from my dear friend Travis Craig. And get this, he gave these to me on his birthday. If he ever finds a pair of shoes or boots a size or so too big while thrifting, he grabs them anyway and then tells me hes got something I need to try on. Talk about generosity. It's thoughtful people like him that I aspire to be like and hope to be lucky enough to surround myself with. Thanks again, Trav. You're the man.

1

A NOTE ABOUT THE PHOTOGRAPHER: When she's not petting stray cats, tweeting in all caps, or rocking a quasi-middle part, Mallory Wiegers is busy working on her undergraduate degree in graphic design at the University of Kansas. She's a longtime friend and compadre. She's also a huge asset to the blog. That header up there - her doing. We're lucky enough to have her input and expertise at our disposal when it comes to all things design. She's currently working on some more projects for the Midwestyle, and considering her 21st was just a few short days ago, I'm sure she'll be reimbursed with pink champagne. Or kittens. Be sure to check her online portfolio and give her a follow on the Twitter machine.

4

On Cameron: chambray service blazer by Apolis; green plaid button down by Gitman Vintage; grey shawl collar cardigan by J. Crew, slim-straight selvedge denim by Wings + Horns; watch by Timex for J. Crew; vintage tracker boots; vintage belt.

Photography by Mallory Wiegers.

4 comments:

  1. I would agree. The colors (medium) of that shirt is lovely. Just says Autumn.

    also, would like to say Im pretty new to this site(first comment) & it is everything I inspire for when on the interwebs. I too am a midwest boy (central IL) and have always had clothes pasted down to me from older cousins, my father and now my grandfather. Keeping it in the family. haha. In high school is when I would see how far my dollar could stretch at recycled clothing centers in my small home town (7Kpop). Before I even found the midwestyle, I would stride to be like you guys. Mostly taking classic or older fitted clothing and giving a more modern-my style kind of twist. Every time I make my nightly clicks to my sites I wish i would be apart of this. ha! So Kudos to all that helps and I can only hope I could buy one of you a drink at a show next time I'm in the city.

    peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, this is great! I was just turned on to your site by Valet. I tend to have a typical fall uniform as well: dark jeans, desert boots, oxford cloth shirt, light cardigan, and a military jacket over it all. I'm in Chicago too and have hit up most of your thrifting haunts (and a few of my favorites too). Anyway, nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I plan to evangelize this outfit to every dude I know, demanding their allegiance to the religion of dressing like an artsy, trail-climbing badass. You're a prophet of a great faith, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great style! I love the look. :) And the pictures are great too.
    Hannah
    http://alittleburdtoldme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...