7/6/11

midweSTYLE: Tribal

I've been looking all summer to find a pair of tribal shorts. Sure, I could make a pair from some thrifted deadstock Zubaz, but I've yet to get my hands on a sewing machine in Chicago.

Instead, we stumbled across these from FLC International. Limited edition and handmade? Do I have your attention?


HOW TO: WEAR TRIBAL SHORTS

  • Shoes: Pair them with a summery shoe, like an espadrille or a boat shoe. Hell, even a moccasin.
  • Shirt: Go neutral with this one. A nice oxford button down goes a long way in your closet. Mix it with denim because...well, you can.
  • Accessories: Leather belt, canvas bag, maybe something with hemp if you're feeling liberal.

One of my favorite accessories is this scarf that my friend, Marta, gave me from Italy on her travels. It's a great summer weight that breathes and adds a little punch.


Jorge Shorts: We're excited about these bad boys. A great fit for the slim or regular build. They've been rolled twice and will really fit on any build. Seth tested them on his soccer player thighs. I tested them on my runner's thighs. Also, the Jorge Shorts have a nice medium rise so you can kick coin slot dryness to the curb.


A new bag, Jeff?

I never got around to finding my summer bag with obnoxious colors, like yellow or orange. So, I pulled the trigger on this Jack Spade tote. I'll make it festive with scarves or something candid like that.


If you don't have a Timex Camper watch by now, you should think about sacrificing three Chipotle burritos and going for it.

It's amazing. It's classic. I wear mine everyday. The face is neither too big nor small, even on my scrawny wrists. A nice olive does the trick all year round.
  • Want more summer accessories? I cut and braided some faded yellow leather into strips and used my big brother skills. Summer zest.
  • Don't have scrap leather laying around the house? Ask your friend who's a textile major for some extra fabric, canvas or string. Scraps, yo.


On Jeff: "Jorge" tribal shorts ($78) courtesy of FLC International; canvas wax-dipped tote (Ebay, sale $100, reg. $200) by Jack Spade; "Terracotta" T-shirt ($15) by J.Crew; white espadrille chukka shoe ($30) courtesty of Topman; my favorite leather belt that I've had since sixth grade by Fossil; indigo denim shirt ($60) courtesy of Topman; Camper watch (Amazon, $18) by Timex; scarf from an Italian street vendor courtesy of Marta.

Photos by Seth Putnam.

10 comments:

  1. love the shorts - thinking about pulling the trigger on a pair myself. how's the sizing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do those topman espadrilles chukkas fit?! true to size? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing shorts! I might have to snag a pair myself as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nate. The sizing is spot on. I'm about a 29/30 and I'm wearing a 30.

    Jon - The Topman espardrilles run small. I'd size up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good call on the Fossil belt. I have one myself & swear by it. I don't need another.

    I live in the northeast (CT/RI) but think your site is the best. You've turned me onto Baldwin Denim & some other great stuff. Keep up the good work & I'll keep reading daily.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, shoot. Thanks, KTW! Uh, and if that's a reference to Peep Show on your Tumblr, I'm clapping over here. Clapping right here in the office.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why yes it is a Peep Show reference. It's quite possibly the best.

    It's good to know that you also have high cultural & entertainment standards as well. I clap back in your direction!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't that camper watch line the truth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those shoes look gorgeous it really fits with your attire. Thank you very much for sharing this.
    naot shoes online

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...