2/25/11

FAVORITE: Duluth Pack, The Wanderer in Waxed Canvas


Last fall, upon deciding I needed a new backpack (I still get to wear backpacks after all because, well, I'm still in college), I went perusing the Internet to find a bag that was:

  • Made out of waxed canvas.
  • Made in the USA.

After primitively Googling these criteria, I landed on Duluth Pack's website. After reading about Duluth a bit, I was sold. The 128-year-old company's reputation was worthy of buying into: American-made, handcrafted gear. I was into it, and the Wanderer seemed to fit my taste and criteria the best, so I pulled the trigger. The bag was sold out, so I'd have to pine for it for another 2 weeks before it arrived.

The wait was well worth it. It's almost too spacious for my purposes, the main compartment (drawstring closure, with a top flap that buckles over it) holds my Mac, a slew of textbooks and journals, a thermos, and a sweatshirt with relative ease. The weight, almost surprisingly to me, didn't put much of a strain on my back, even with the unpadded straps. The side and front compartments were perfect for holding anything else I may need to carry (cords, external hardrive, water bottles, writing utensils, iPod, etc.).

Overall, the carrying capacity was far beyond expected, in a good way. My favorite aspect of the bag has been the waxed canvas; it eliminates all worry about taking it out in snow or rainfall and shows wear in subtle, but eye-catching ways. If you're looking to replace an aging North Face (not hating on NF, just saying) or your old high school Jansport (again, I love Jansport), and are looking for a company worth investing in for said replacement, I'd urge you to check out Duluth Pack. I promise, this bag is worth every penny.

Oh, did I mention it's guaranteed for life?

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting! After 100 years in the same factory we are proud that other folks are enjoying our bags as much as we do!
    -Duluth Pack-

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...