4/15/11

FAVORITE: Leader 725TR

Editor's note: Here at the Midwestyle, we're fans of practical transportation and staying fit. Bikes accomplish both. This is a post by Cameron N.—student, model(?), thinker, no-longer-part-of-this-blog, and apparently, hipster. Cam, over to you:

The perks of living on East Campus are many. I'm just a five minute jaunt from class. I can be in the heart of downtown in 10 or 15 by foot. That convenience sounds great, I know, but most mornings, I wake up for my nine o'clock classes at about 8:44, throw on a pot of coffee, practice the bare minimum levels of personal hygiene, put said coffee in my thermos, and finally jam out the door at about 8:56. And unless I'm trying to do that painfully awkward walk-run-skip thing I usually do when I'm in a hurry, I hop on my bike. Living in a small-ish town like Columbia allows my bike to be my main mode of transportation.
And I like that.
Because I like my bike.
Yeah, I'm aware it is a fixed gear.
Shut up.



Specs: Leader 725TR frame - 58, Leader Trickstar steel fork, Cane Creek ZS headset, Nitto bullhorn handlebars, Kalin seatpost, Pake PBS saddle, Origin8 Pro Track crankset, Shimano bottom bracket, All-City pedals/toe clips, Velocity B43 wheelset laced to Origin8 hubs, freedom Thickslick tires.



Heather henley (Christmas gift from the lady) by J. Crew, small; "The 77" dry, 14-ounce Kurabo fabric (Standard Style, $200) by Baldwin Denim, size 31; brown leather belt (stolen from dad's closet); Mid Skool 77 LX courtesy of Vans Vault, size 9.5.

Photos by Zach McSpadden. Thanks for helping, guy.

10 comments:

  1. I thought you all were 'thrifty' guys -- $200 jeans? Dayum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we do thrift and look for deals a large portion of the time, but we also recognize that there's no thrift store substitution for premium, US produced, quality denim. As a blog we endorse both, thrifting, yes, but also understanding that quality and ethically produced products, like a pair Baldwin Denim, come with a price - and that's one we're very willing to pay. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a really cool/hipster bike, I think I want one... And I love the blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Off the subject, but I hope you guys checked out halls this week. They are moving the crown center halls and are clearing a lot of stuff out. They have an extra 25% off sale stuff through tomorrow, I picked up a Barbour Liddlesdale for $60, a gant by Michael Bastian flannel shirt for $22, and several polo items for over 75% off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Denver, thanks for the heads up my man. I'll definitely be dropping by Halls tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE that alley. Stumbled through it many a night in college, running back and forth between Sake (those martinis) and Tonic and Quinton's. Great shots, great bike, great jeans, and great scene.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got some jeans from Ross that have lasted me almost six years.

    I also bought some Levi's last year that are running like a champ.

    Both together cost me less than $70.

    No way would I ever consider paying anywhere close to that much for a pair of jeans. To each his own though. They look nice, but one think I don't really understand is how you guys don't start to smell in them, my pants start to smell pretty bad after about two weeks.

    Also, I was in a part of London last week where I think you would fit in well with that bike.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not saying you can't find jeans that won't last you a long time. When I was buying denim I wasn't just looking for just any old pair of jeans. I wanted selvedge, which granted, can be found for cheaper. But I was more concerned with supporting a local Kansas City company in Baldwin and investing in jeans that were cut and sewn in the US. Trying not to outsource your money in the states means you're going to pay more. And since I wear denim nearly everyday, why not invest?

    Glen, ours don't start to smell because we still wear underwear. I know you phased out of that whole trend, but it does keep your pants smelling nicer! :]

    ReplyDelete
  9. I lived with Jeff for a year and Seth for three... I know for a fact the underwear statement is false.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the bike, but then, I'm from London. We get off on that kind of thing. How do you lock it up? I find carrying a lock a real drag, and putting one on the frame spoils the lines.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...