4/19/11

midweSTYLE: Mocha blazer on the rocks

Correction (2:55 p.m.): In the initial version of this post, we forgot to credit our very gracious photographer, Bethany Jones. Thanks so much for helping us, Bethany—when you come to Chi this summer, the vino and/or Guinness is on us.


While my blogging brethren reside in the wonderfully windy city of Chicago, I enjoy the pleasure of calling Columbia, Mo., my temporary home as I pitter-patter my way through four years of the dream-world experience that is modern day higher education. Columbia is a lovely place for a million different reasons, but one thing that's not high on that list is natural scenery. But after being cramped up in your favorite local coffee shop (see: Kaldi's), studying your ass off for the huge exam in that class you never actually attended because you swore to yourself you'd just read the book and get notes from that guy who you did that group project with earlier in the semester, you're gonna need some fresh air, and lots of it. Enter Capen Park/Mulch Site. It has mulch for taking and rocks for climbing—what more could you ask for? You're right, nothing.

Winter's still got her foot in the door here in Missouri, which means I still have an excuse to wear blazers without people on campus thinking I transferred in from the SEC. This thrifted beauty fits well almost everywhere but the arms, which could use a nice visit to the tailor. I'm working on that.

Also, I tend to opt for boots when wearing jackets. Why? I don't really know. Maybe it's because my high school mascot was a lumberjack. Maybe it's because I misplaced my favorite longwings. Or maybe it's because when I'm not blowing out my pocket fades or doing squats to make my honeycombs explode, I'm usually out climbing rock faces in blazers and tie bars. I know you sensed the sarcasm.



"The 77" dry 14-ounce Kurabo fabric, two and a half months (Standard Style, $200) by Baldwin Denim, size 31; mocha blazer (thrifted, $20), size 38; blue and pink polka dot tie (my old man's closet, free); old leather belt (my old man's closet, free); dark tortoise "Preston" eyeglasses (online, $95) by Warby Parker; coral oxford (retail, $50) by American Apparel, medium; thrifted work boots (borrowed from our dear friend Travis Craig, $9), military watch (eBay, $18) by Rothco.

Photos by Bethany Jones.

14 comments:

  1. O-A-K-P-A-R-K. Oak-Park. North-men.

    "Wonderfully windy"? Cam, you don't know what you're saying!

    P.S. Cool picture, Oliver. Unfortunately, though, Cam's face is legally obligated by contract to appear only on this blog. So I'm afraid you're going to have to take it down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's try to keep the comments civil, Ms. Wiegers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The boots are great.. and I love the rolled up jeans-- very hip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. seth, you are my favorite honorary northmen. you keep the pride alive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Muuuuch better. Thanks for speaking the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found this blog this morning from Put This On and I was (pleasantly) surprised to find a fellow college student in Columbia is one of the people behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found this today too and holy crap! I'm used to reading all these blogs from New York, but now I'm seriously pumped that the sartorially-inclined are here in my hometown. Looking forward to going to Mizzou next year too

    ReplyDelete
  10. Casey - Thanks man. We're excited that Put This On featured us and glad we could have beers with him and a few other gents in Chicago.

    Bo - Hometown? Columbia, MO or Chicago, IL? Either way, we've got you covered.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can I just say "I love you guys"?

    :))))

    LOVE IT! thank you!

    Olga,from belgium.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...