4/28/11

Thrifty Thursday: Recycled pants


You guys remember when I was talking about making pants into a nontraditional pair of cargo shorts? Well, here they are. How? My girlfriend was kind enough to take on the project. Here's what it takes:
  • An old pair of chinos (I conveniently chose these pants in particular so that I'd have an excuse to buy a new pair of khaki chinos, but that's neither here nor there.)
  • A few buttons and some thread
  • A sewing machine
  • Someone who knows how to use that sewing machine
Originally, I said you should probably reimburse whoever constructs these things for you with some cash. Luckily, my girlfriend was willing to help me out. Why? Dinners, movies, gifts and unconditional love, of course. Honestly, what other reasons does she need? (And really, how many more sentences can I begin with an adverb?)

Seriously though, more power to you if you're skilled enough to pull off this feat of apparel construction yourself. If you're not, find a friend who is. Hopefully you've got one somewhere. And pay them well: Food, beers, yardwork... or money if you're not feeling creative.

The shorts turned out extremely well. The most obvious changes are the front pockets, which are great. The thicker belt loops are a little less noticeable, but they're probably my favorite change. Also, the roll at the bottom was intentional when these were first made, but ultimately they squeeze my soccer thighs a litte too much. A hem is scheduled for the near future. Overall, these are definitely shaping up to be my go-to/knock-around shorts for the summer months—and all for the price of four buttons and a spool of thread. Not bad.


And oh yeah: THESE RULE.


Spectator LX in "Incense" (courtesy of Vans) by Vans Vault, size 10; khaki chinos converted into shorts with pockets (originally from Urban Outfitters, $50) by Paul Frank, size 30; vintage plaid button-down (thrifted, $3) by L.L. Bean, medium; braided leather belt (thrifted, $4); Corter for Japan bracelet (Corter Online Shop, $25 shipped) by Corter Leather.

Photos by Jarred Donalson. And many thanks to the lady.

3 comments:

  1. I dig those Vans. I don't typically find their shoes too appealing, but I do like these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These shorts are awesome! I usually hate shorts on guys unless they are the classic preppy fitted style or grungy street stylish (like, sadly, jorts. what can i say, i love jorts!). Anyway, these have a sophisticated prep school vibe but also seem really functional--like a utility cargo short should be. Way cool!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...